A meeting with: Jean Rhys

Welcome to everyone! My name is Ella Gwendolen Rees Williams, but maybe you know me by my writer name, Jean Rhys. I was born in 1890 in the Windward Islands (West Indies) and I was considered one of the best novelists in the bohemian world of Europe. Now, let me talk a little bit about my private life:

I was the daughter of a Welsh doctor and a Creole mother. I was raised and educated in Dominica and at the age of 16, I went to London where I worked as an actress before moving to Paris. In Paris, I was encouraged to begin writing my own novels and I created my first collection of shorts stories The Left Bank (1927) and novels such as Postures (1928), After Leaving Mr. Mackenzie (1931), Voyage in the Dark (1934) and Good Morning, Midnight (1939).

Later, when I moved to Cornwall, I wrote my most successful novel Wide Sargasso Sea (1966), a novel that projects the life of Antoinette Cosway, the mad wife of Mr. Rochester from Jane Eyre. Other novels that I wrote were: Tigers Are Better-Looking, with a Selection from the Left Bank (1968) and Sleep It Off Lady (1976). 

See you later,
Jean Rhys


Bibliography: 

Comments